Employers are under the impression that persons who receive old age pension are not allowed to work, or that they forfeit UIF benefits if they do. There are certain specification to receiving certain grants.
Any person, irrespective of age, can be registered as a work seeker, even while receiving old age pension. All employees are entitled to UIF benefits, if they make the statutory contributions. However, a person cannot claim UIF and receive the grant at the same time.
People who are 60 years or older can qualify for a grant previously named the ‘old age pension’. To qualify for this grant, the person must:
- be a South African citizen or permanent resident;
- live in South Africa;
- cannot receive any other social grant for him-/herself;
- not be cared for in a state institution;
- cannot earn more than R69 000 per year or own assets worth more than R990 000 if single;
- not have a combined income of more than R138 000 per year or have assets worth more than R1 980 000 if married.