Employers have three duties:
- To receive the employee into service
- According to the BCEA all employers should provide an employee with a written contract within one day of employment;
- Employers are further obliged to accord employees their rights in terms of the applicable contracts of service, collective agreements and legislation. Take care that the contract is not less favourable than the applicable legislation which should be adhered to.
- To pay the employee’s remuneration
- To ensure that working conditions are safe and healthy
The relationship between the employer and the employee is based on mutual benefits and respect. Clear rules and guidelines ensure that friction and misunderstandings are kept to a minimum, which in turn promotes not only productivity but also a positive working environment. The employer must therefore have clear rules and guidelines in the workplace and ensure that every employee is aware of these rules.