National minimum wage 1 March 2020
The national minimum wage was adjusted by 3.80% and the amended minimum wage as from 1 March 2020 will be R20.76 per hour .
Take note of the following industries that have their own minimum wage (effective 1 March 2020):
Contract cleaning sector
- Area A: R22.84 per hour (City of Cape Town, Greater East Rand Metro, City of Johannesburg, City of Tshwane and City of Nelson Mandela, Local Councils of Emfuleni, Merafong, Mogale City, Metsimaholo, Randfontein, Stellenbosch and Westonaria.
- Area B: R23.04 per hour (All areas in KwaZulu-Natal)
- Area C: R20.83 per hour (All areas not listed in Areas A and B)
Wholesale and retail sector
Domestic worker sector
The amended minimum wage for the Domestic workers sector will be R15.57 per hour.
The Domestic worker sector minimum wage is applicable to employees in a private household, such as:
- domestic workers
- employees that take care of children, the sick, the aged, the frail or the disabled
- domestic workers supplied by employment services
- take note: a domestic worker employed on a farm, where primary or secondary agricultural work is performed, is regarded as a farm worker and does not resort under the Domestic worker sector, but rather under the Agricultural sector.
IS YOUR BUSINESS LABOUR-COMPLIANT?
FIND OUT NOW.